Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Bench on Winter Dock - Class Project

9" x 12" Watercolor on 300 lb. Cold Press Paper
(Click image for better view)
I love the Pocomoke River and the Delmarva Discovery Center has asked me to incorporate the river and related flora and fauna into the projects for my watercolor classes. This is the project painting for my level II beginner's class that starts tomorrow. It's not too late to register for level I & II! Click here for more info. This bench is on one of the docks by the river. I have used a limited palette to emphasize the importance of values in a painting. I have taken liberties with the trees and created primarily pines on the far shore although cypress trees are the most prevalent in that area. I often sit on that bench with my dog when we've been out walking. This day it was cold and misty. Not a great day to linger but a good opportunity for taking photos to use for painting reference. I hope you enjoy the painting.

1 comment:

José said...

Hi,

The choice of a limited pallete and a good choice of values and their placement makes this a pleasant and unified painting.
I especially like the well conveyed sensation of natural light.
Also like how you painted the copyright notice :-)

Kind regards,

José